Bibliographic Records


Database: Volunteer Voices: The Growth of Democracy in Tennessee
Query: vvcat: "A.2"


26 to 50 of 50
1 | 26
Previous hits

26    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of pipe fragments from the Chattooga site, taken in 1993
Photographer : Gerald F. Schroedl
Date Created: 1993
Abstract: This is a photograph of pipe fragments collected at the Chattooga site. Chattooga is a Cherokee archaeological site that was formerly called 'Cherokee Town.' Cherokee Town was an 18th century village associated with the Lower town Cherokee communities of northern Georgia and western South Carolina. The site is thought to have been occupied for only 160 years and was abandoned by the Cherokees in the 1740s. This site is given special attention because it retained early 18th century Cherokee material culture. This material culture is difficult to find and distinguish on other Cherokee sites of the same time period. The University of Tennessee (UT) and the Francis Marion National Forest conducted archaeological excavations at Chattooga during 1989-1994. The focus of these excavations was to develop a better understanding of the nature of the historical Cherokee occupation at the site and compare these findings with those found on other 18th century Cherokee sites. As a result of these excavations, archaeologists were able to identify and partially excavate the remains of five superimposed council houses. In addition, the excavations of two winter structures and one summer domestic structure were conducted. Through the use of surface collection, test pit excavations, and remote sensing equipment, vast amounts of artifacts and the location of additional buildings and features were found with minimal disturbance to the site.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002484
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
27    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of a Kaolin pipe fragment in situ on the Chattooga townhouse floor, taken in 1993
Photographer : Gerald F. Schroedl
Date Created: 1993
Abstract: This is a photograph of a Kaolin pipe fragment in situ on the Chattooga townhouse floor. Kaolin pipes are named for the white clay that they are made from. Kaolin pipes were made in England as early as the 17th century. Over time, the shape, size, and patterns changed on the pipes. Chattooga is a Cherokee archaeological site that was formerly called 'Cherokee Town.' Cherokee Town was an 18th century village associated with the Lower town Cherokee communities of northern Georgia and western South Carolina. The site is thought to have been occupied for only 160 years and was abandoned by the Cherokees in the 1740s. This site is given special attention because it retained early 18th century Cherokee material culture. This material culture is difficult to find and distinguish on other Cherokee sites of the same time period. The University of Tennessee (UT) and the Francis Marion National Forest conducted archaeological excavations at Chattooga during 1989-1994. The focus of these excavations was to develop a better understanding of the nature of the historical Cherokee occupation at the site and compare these findings with those found on other 18th century Cherokee sites. As a result of these excavations, archaeologists were able to identify and partially excavate the remains of five superimposed council houses. In addition, the excavations of two winter structures and one summer domestic structure were conducted.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002511
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
28    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of a representative selection of Qualla body sherds from the Chattooga site, taken in 1993
Photographer : Gerald F. Schroedl
Date Created: 1993
Abstract: This is a photograph of a representative selection of Qualla body sherds from the Chattooga site. Chattooga is a Cherokee archaeological site that was formerly called 'Cherokee Town.' Cherokee Town was an 18th century village associated with the Lower town Cherokee communities of northern Georgia and western South Carolina. The site is thought to have been occupied for only 160 years and was abandoned by the Cherokees in the 1740s. This site is given special attention because it retained early 18th century Cherokee material culture. This material culture is difficult to find and distinguish on other Cherokee sites of the same time period. The University of Tennessee (UT) and the Francis Marion National Forest conducted archaeological excavations at Chattooga during 1989-1994. The focus of these excavations was to develop a better understanding of the nature of the historical Cherokee occupation at the site and compare these findings with those found on other 18th century Cherokee sites. As a result of these excavations, archaeologists were able to identify and partially excavate the remains of five superimposed council houses. In addition, the excavations of two winter structures and one summer domestic structure were conducted. Through the use of surface collection, test pit excavations, and remote sensing equipment, vast amounts of artifacts and the location of additional buildings and features were found with minimal disturbance to the site.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002488
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
29    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of an excavation at the Chattooga site, taken in 1993
Photographer : Gerald F. Schroedl
Date Created: 1993
Abstract: This is a photograph of a view of the 1993 excavation at the Chattooga site. Chattooga is a Cherokee archaeological site that was formerly called 'Cherokee Town.' Cherokee Town was an 18th century village associated with the Lower town Cherokee communities of northern Georgia and western South Carolina. The site is thought to have been occupied for only 160 years and was abandoned by the Cherokees in the 1740s. This site is given special attention because it retained early 18th century Cherokee material culture. This material culture is difficult to find and distinguish on other Cherokee sites of the same time period. The University of Tennessee (UT) and the Francis Marion National Forest conducted archaeological excavations at Chattooga during 1989-1994. The focus of these excavations was to develop a better understanding of the nature of the historical Cherokee occupation at the site and compare these findings with those found on other 18th century Cherokee sites. As a result of these excavations, archaeologists were able to identify and partially excavate the remains of five superimposed council houses. In addition, the excavations of two winter structures and one summer domestic structure were conducted. Through the use of surface collection, test pit excavations, and remote sensing equipment, vast amounts of artifacts and the location of additional buildings and features were found with minimal disturbance to the site.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002479
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
30    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of a representative selection of Qualla rim sherds from the Chattooga site, taken in 1993
Photographer : Gerald F. Schroedl
Date Created: 1993
Abstract: This is a photograph of a representative selection of Qualla rim sherds from the Chattooga site. Chattooga is a Cherokee archaeological site that was formerly called 'Cherokee Town.' Cherokee Town was an 18th century village associated with the Lower town Cherokee communities of northern Georgia and western South Carolina. The site is thought to have been occupied for only 160 years and was abandoned by the Cherokees in the 1740s. This site is given special attention because it retained early 18th century Cherokee material culture. This material culture is difficult to find and distinguish on other Cherokee sites of the same time period. The University of Tennessee (UT) and the Francis Marion National Forest conducted archaeological excavations at Chattooga during 1989-1994. The focus of these excavations was to develop a better understanding of the nature of the historical Cherokee occupation at the site and compare these findings with those found on other 18th century Cherokee sites. As a result of these excavations, archaeologists were able to identify and partially excavate the remains of five superimposed council houses. In addition, the excavations of two winter structures and one summer domestic structure were conducted. Through the use of surface collection, test pit excavations, and remote sensing equipment, vast amounts of artifacts and the location of additional buildings and features were found with minimal disturbance to the site.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002480
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
31    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of mid-18th century central hearth Cherokee townhouse at Tomotley
Photographer : Gerald F. Shroedl
Date Created: 1976
Abstract: This is a photograph of a central hearth of a Cherokee townhouse from the Overhill village of Tomotley dating back to the mid-18th century. All political and social events were held in these large winter townhouses, which were cone-shaped and appeared to look like a small mountain from a distance. Some were large enough to hold 500 people. The seats were arranged like an amphitheater with the seats rising one above another, leaving an area in the center for a fire. Excavations of Tomotley were conducted by the University of Tennessee in 1976 as part of the Tellico Archaeological Project in anticipation of the flooding of the Lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal investigator, Alfred K. Guthe. Field Director, Gerald F. Schroedl.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002546
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
32    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of small pit filled with charred corn cobs, 18th century Cherokee Village of Tanassee
Photographer : J. Worth Greene
Date Created: 1972
Abstract: This is a photograph of a small pit filled with charred corn cobs used to smudge ceramic vessels or to process deer hides at the Overhill Cherokee Village of Tanasee (Tanasi). Tanasee is sometimes referred to as Chota-Tanasi as the two towns were very close together. Chota and Tanassee were two of over 60 Cherokee settlements in the Southeastern states during the 18th century. Excavations of Overhill Cherokee villages were conducted by the University of Tennessee between 1967 and 1983 as part of the Tellico Archaeological Project. Excavations continued until 1983, and laboratory studies and report preparation continued until 1987. The excavations were conducted in anticipation of the flooding of the Lower Little Tennessee River Valley, in eastern Tennessee, by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal Investigator, Alfred K. Guthe. Field Director, J. Worth Greene.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002534
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
33    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Detail of map indicating the Overhill Cherokee Village of Tomotley
Cartographer : John Gerrard William DeBrahm
Date Created: 1756
Abstract: This is a photograph of John Gerrard William De Brahm's map detail of the area of the Little Tennessee River Valley containing the Overhill Cherokee village of Tomotley. De Brahm spent time in Tomotley as the guest of Chief Ostenaco in 1756 and contributed to the design and building of Fort Loudoun, 1756-1759. In 1773 DeBrahm completed his "Report of the General Survey in the Southern District of North America" which includes information he gathered about the Cherokees while he lived among them.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002543
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
34    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Drawing depicting Cherokee townhouse and summer pavilion posthole patterns at mid-18th century Tomotley
Cartographer : Marion Drescher
Date Created: 1976
Abstract: This is a drawing of posthole patterns dating back to the mid-18th century of a winter townhouse (top) and summer pavilion (below) from the Overhill Cherokee town of Tomotley. All political and social events were held in these townhouses. The winter townhouse was a large conical structure, which contained amphitheater seating around a central hearth. The rectangular summer town or council house was an open pavilion suitable for warm weather. Excavations of Tomotley were conducted by the University of Tennessee in 1976 as part of the Tellico Archaeological Project in anticipation of the flooding of the Lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal investigator, Alfred K. Guthe. Field Director, Gerald F. Schroedl.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002547
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
35    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Drawing of posthole pattern of Overhill Cherokee townhouse, summer pavilion, and large pit-features at Chota
Cartographer : Marion Drescher
Date Created: 1974 - 1984
Abstract: This photograph of a drawing shows the posthole patterns of a Cherokee townhouse, summer pavilion, and large pit-features at Chota. Townhouses, or council houses, were large circular dome structures that served as an arena for all political and social events. The summer pavilion, which was open and rectangular in shape was used for the same purpose during warmer weather. Pits were dug for burials and for storage of refuse. The drawing is based on historical descriptions as well as archaeological excavations conducted by The University of Tennessee from 1969-1974. The excavations were conducted in anticipation of the flooding of the Lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal investigator, Alfred K. Guthe. Field Directors, J. Worth Greene, Duane H. King, and Gerald F. Schroedl.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002512
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
36    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Drawing of the posthole pattern of a mid-18th century Cherokee townhouse at Mialoquo
Cartographer : Marion Drescher
Date Created: 1977
Abstract: This is a drawing of a posthole pattern of an 18th century Cherokee winter townhouse at Mialoquo. Overhill townhouses were situated in a common village plaza. There was generally a winter townhouse, which was a large circular dome in which a fire could be built in the center and an adjacent rectangular open pavilion for summer use. Both were used for public social and political activity. Excavations of Mialoquo were conducted by the University of Tennessee in 1977 as part of the Tellico Archaeological Project in anticipation of the flooding of the Lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal investigator, Jefferson Chapman. Field Director, Gerald F. Schroedl.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002549
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
37    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of large pit-features near the former site of the mid-18th century townhouse at Chota, taken in 1969
Photographer : Richard R. Polhemus
Date Created: 1969
Abstract: This is a photograph of large pit-features discovered near the former site of the mid-18th century Chota townhouse. Pits were dug by the Cherokees for burial purposes and for the storage of refuse. This excavation was conducted by the University of Tennessee in 1969 in anticipation of the flooding of the lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The university worked under contract with the National Park Service and TVA. Principal investigator, Alfred K. Guthe. Field Director, J. Worth Greene.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002527
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
38    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of pit with remains of dog, Chota, ca. 18th century
Photographer : Richard R. Polhemus
Date Created: 1969
Abstract: This photograph is of an Overhill Cherokee pit containing the skeletal remains of a dog. Chota or Echota was an Overhill Cherokee village located in what is today Monroe County, Tennessee. In the mid-18th century, Chota was recognized by Europeans as well as other Indians for its powerful socio-economic influence and was regarded as the capital of the Cherokee Nation. Chota, as with all the Overhill Cherokee sites, is now inundated by the Tellico Reservoir. Excavations of Overhill Cherokee villages were conducted by the University of Tennessee between 1967 and 1983 as part of the Tellico Archaeological Project. Excavations continued until 1983, and laboratory studies and report preparation continued until 1987. The excavations were conducted in anticipation of the flooding of the Lower Little Tennessee River Valley, in eastern Tennessee, by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal Investigator, Alfred K. Guthe. Field Director, J. Worth Greene.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002531
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
39    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of a small mid-18th century pit used to smudge Cherokee ceramic vessels at Chota
Photographer : Richard R. Polhemus
Date Created: 1969
Abstract: This is a photograph of a small pit used to smudge Cherokee ceramic vessels. It is from the 18th century Overhill Cherokee village of Chota in what is today Monroe County. Chota was recognized by Europeans as well as other Indians for its powerful socio-economic influence and was regarded as the capital of the Cherokee nation. Excavations of Chota and other Overhill villages were conducted by the University of Tennessee between 1967 and 1983 as part of the Tellico Archaeological Project in anticipation of the flooding of the Lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal investigator, Alfred K. Guthe. Field Director, J. Worth Greene.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002515
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
40    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of posthole patterns of Cherokee winter and summer domestic houses at the former site of the mid-18th century Cherokee
Photographer : Robert D.
Date Created: 1978
Abstract: This is a photograph of posthole patterns of mid-18th century summer and winter domestic dwellings from the Overhill Cherokee town of Citico. As was common in most Overhill villages winter houses were built in a circular dome structure which contained a central hearth for fire. Adjacent to the winter home was an open rectangular summer pavilion used in warm weather. Excavations were conducted by the University of Tennessee in 1978 in anticipation of the flooding of the lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal investigator, Jefferson Chapman. Field Director, Robert D. Newman.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002529
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
41    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of the posthole pattern of a Cherokee townhouse at the former site of the mid-18th century Cherokee town of Toqua, take
Photographer : Robert D. Newman
Date Created: 1977
Abstract: This is a photograph of the posthole pattern of a Cherokee winter townhouse at the former site of mid-18th century Toqua. Winter townhouses were cone-shaped and appeared to look like small mountains from a distance. Townhouses were used for all public, social, and political events. Some were large enough to hold 500 people. The seats were arranged like an amphitheater with the seats rising one above another, leaving an area in the center for a fire. Excavations were conducted by the University of Tennessee in 1977 in anticipation of the flooding of the lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal investigator, Jefferson Chapman. Field Director, Robert D. Newman.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002530
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
42    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Map of the British American Plantations, extending from Boston in New England to Georgia
Creator : Thomas Bowen
Date Created: 1754-07
Abstract: Map of the British American Plantations, extending from Boston in New England to Georgia. Cumberland River, Holston River - Walkers Settlement, 1750. Cherokee towns. Thomas Bowen - Geographer to His Majesty
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Map Collection
Contributing Institution: Tennessee State Library and Archives
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200700000002683
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
43    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Drawing of mid-18th century Cherokee segmented domestic structure
Artist; Creator : Thomas R. Whyte
Date Created: 1967
Abstract: This is a drawing of a Cherokee segmented domestic structure from the mid-18th century based on archaeological excavations by the University of Tennessee at Overhill Cherokee sites on the lower Little Tennessee River Valley. Excavations of Overhill Cherokee villages were conducted by the University of Tennessee between 1967 and 1983 as part of the Tellico Archaeological Project. Excavations continued until 1983, and laboratory studies and report preparation continued until 1987. The excavations were conducted in anticipation of the flooding of the lower Little Tennessee River Valley, in eastern Tennessee, by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA).
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002499
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
44    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Drawing depicting the central area of mid-18th century Chota
Artist : Thomas R. Whyte
Date Created: 1974 - 1984
Abstract: This is a drawing depicting the central area of the Overhill Cherokee town of Chota around the mid-18th century. It shows a central village plaza with a large circular winter townhouse and a smaller rectangular summer townhouse. Both were used for public, social, and political events. Shown also are similar domestic dwellings with a circular winter house alongside a rectangular summerhouse. The drawing is based on historical descriptions as well as archaeological excavations conducted by The University of Tennessee from 1969-1974. The excavations were conducted in anticipation of the flooding of the Lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal investigator, Alfred K. Guthe. Field Directors, J. Worth Greene, Duane H. King, and Gerald F. Schroedl. The drawing is by Thomas Whyte.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002550
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
45    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Drawing depicting a Cherokee townhouse at Chota
Artist : Thomas R. Whyte
Date Created: 1974 - 1984
Abstract: This is a drawing of an Overhill Cherokee winter townhouse at Chota. Winter townhouses which were cone-shaped appeared to look like small mountains from a distance. Some were large enough to hold 500 people. The seats were arranged like an amphitheater with the seats rising one above another, leaving an area in the center for a fire. The drawing is based on historical descriptions as well as archaeological excavations conducted by The University of Tennessee from 1969-1974. The excavations were conducted in anticipation of the flooding of the Lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal investigator, Alfred K. Guthe. Field Directors, J. Worth Greene, Duane H. King, and Gerald F. Schroedl. The drawing is by Thomas Whyte.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002513
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
46    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Drawing depicting Cherokee winter and summer domestic structures
Artist : Thomas R. Whyte
Date Created: 1983 - 1993
Abstract: This is a drawing of Overhill Cherokee winter and summer domestic structures. Excavations of Overhill Cherokee Villages were conducted by the University of Tennessee between 1967 and 1982 as part of the Tellico Archaeological Project. Excavations continued until 1983, and laboratory studies and report preparation continued until 1987. The excavations were conducted in anticipation of the flooding of the Lower Little Tennessee River Valley, in eastern Tennessee, by the Tellico Dam Reservoir and were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA).
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002539
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
47    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of assemblage of artifacts, from Overhill Cherokee villages, Tennessee
Photographer : W. Miles Wright
Date Created: 1967
Abstract: This is a photograph of mid-18th century Cherokee artifacts, animal bones, and plant food remains. It is from excavations of Overhill Cherokee Villages which were conducted by the University of Tennessee between 1967 and 1983 as part of the Tellico Archaeological Project. Excavations continued until 1983, and laboratory studies and report preparation continued until 1987. The excavations were conducted in anticipation of the flooding of the Lower Little Tennessee River Valley, in eastern Tennessee, by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA).
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002533
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
48    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Aerial view of the Chattooga site oriented to the north, taken in 1993
Photographer : Skyshots Inc.
Date Created: 1993
Abstract: This is an aerial view of the Chattooga site oriented to the north. Chattooga is a Cherokee archaeological site that was formerly called 'Cherokee Town.' Cherokee Town was an 18th century village associated with the Lower town Cherokee communities of northern Georgia and western South Carolina. The site is thought to have been occupied for only 160 years and was abandoned by the Cherokees in the 1740s. This site is given special attention because it retained early 18th century Cherokee material culture. This material culture is difficult to find and distinguish on other Cherokee sites of the same time period. The University of Tennessee (UT) and the Francis Marion National Forest conducted archaeological excavations at Chattooga during 1989-1994. The focus of these excavations was to develop a better understanding of the nature of the historical Cherokee occupation at the site and compare these findings with those found on other 18th century Cherokee sites. As a result of these excavations, archaeologists were able to identify and partially excavate the remains of five superimposed council houses. In addition, the excavations of two winter structures and one summer domestic structure were conducted. Through the use of surface collection, test pit excavations, and remote sensing equipment, vast amounts of artifacts and the location of additional buildings and features were found with minimal disturbance to the site.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002490
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
49    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Map of Overhill Cherokee sites, 18th century
Attributed name : Tellico Archaeological Project
Date Created: 1982 - 1992
Abstract: This is a photograph of a map of the Overhill Cherokee sites that were occupied during the 18th century. The map is based on Henry Timberlake's 1762 map of the area as well as archaeological investigations made in 1967 through 1982, by The University of Tennessee as part of the Tellico Archaeological Project in anticipation of the flooding of the Lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). These well- known Overhill settlements of Mialoquo, Tuskeegee, Toqua, Chota, Citico, Tallassee, and Chilhowee are now all under water. The Cherokees who were located in north Georgia, northwest South Carolina, and Western North Carolina had to travel over the mountains from South Carolina to reach their brethren who lived in the lower Tennessee and Hiawasee River Valleys and thus they were referred to as the Overhill Cherokees.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002542
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
50    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of historic artifacts recovered from the Chattooga site, taken 1993
Photographer : Schroedl
Date Created: 1993
Abstract: This is a photograph of historic artifacts recovered from the Chattooga site that features trade beads, a Kaolin pipe stem, gun flint, and a button fragment. Chattooga is a Cherokee archaeological site that was formerly called 'Cherokee Town.' Cherokee Town was an 18th century village associated with the Lower town Cherokee communities of northern Georgia and western South Carolina. The site is thought to have been occupied for only 160 years and was abandoned by the Cherokees in the 1740s. This site is given special attention because it retained early 18th century Cherokee material culture. This material culture is difficult to find and distinguish on other Cherokee sites of the same time period. The University of Tennessee (UT) and the Francis Marion National Forest conducted archaeological excavations at Chattooga during 1989-1994. The focus of these excavations was to develop a better understanding of the nature of the historical Cherokee occupation at the site and compare these findings with those found on other 18th century Cherokee sites. As a result of these excavations, archaeologists were able to identify and partially excavate the remains of five superimposed council houses. In addition, the excavations of two winter structures and one summer domestic structure were conducted.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002477
add to bookbag | view long format in new window

26 to 50 of 50
1 | 26
Previous hits