Bibliographic Records


Database: Volunteer Voices: The Growth of Democracy in Tennessee
Query: vvcat: "D.15"


26 to 50 of 229
1 | 26 | 51 | 76 | 101 | 126 | 151 | 176 | 201 | 226
< Previous hits
Next hits >

26    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of mid-18th century European manufactured iron hoe, Chota]
Photographer : David Stansberry
Date Created: 1970 - 1990
Abstract: This photograph is of a European manufactured iron hoe head traded to the Cherokees in the mid-18th century. It was recovered by the University of Tennessee during an excavation of the Overhill Cherokee village of Chota. Chota was recognized by Europeans as well as other Indians for its powerful economic influence and was regarded as the capital of the Cherokee nation. The Cherokees kept small vegetable plots near their homes as well as maintained large communal agricultural fields of beans, corn, and squash. Excavations of Chota and other Overhill villages were conducted by the University of Tennessee between 1967 and 1983 as part of the Tellico Archaeological Project in anticipation of the flooding of the Lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal investigator, Alfred K. Guthe. Field Director, J. Worth Greene.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002519
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
27    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of an archaeological pit feature at the former site of the mid-18th century Cherokee town of Chota, taken in 1974
Photographer : David Stansberry
Date Created: 1974
Abstract: This is a 1974 photograph of an archaeological pit feature at the former site of the mid-18th century Cherokee town of Chota. Pits were dug for burial purposes and for storage of refuse. Chota was recognized by Native Americans and European settlers as a powerful social and economic influence and was regarded as the capital of the Cherokee nation. Excavations of Chota and other Overhill Cherokee villages were conducted as part of the Tellico Archaeological Project by the University of Tennessee in anticipation of the flooding of the lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The university worked under contract with the National Park Service and TVA. Principal investigator, Alfred K. Guthe. Field Director, Gerald F. Schroedl.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Contemporary United States (1968-present)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002526
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
28    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of mid-18th century iron trade ax recovered at Chota
Photographer : David Stansberry
Date Created: 1972 - 1984
Abstract: This photograph is of a European manufactured iron ax head traded to the Cherokees in the mid-18th century. It was recovered by the University of Tennessee during an excavation of the Overhill Cherokee village of Chota. Chota was recognized by Europeans as well as other Indians for its powerful economic influence and was regarded as the capital of the Cherokee nation. Excavations of Chota were conducted from 1969-1974 in anticipation of the flooding of the Lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The university worked under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal investigator, Alfred K. Guthe. Field Directors, J. Worth Greene, Duane H. King, and Gerald F. Schroedl.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002521
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
29    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of mid-18th century kaolin smoking pipes recovered at Chota
Photographer : David Stansberry
Date Created: 1972 - 1984
Abstract: This is a photograph of mid-18th century Kaolin smoking pipes recovered from Chota. The Overhill Cherokees traded actively with the lower Cherokees of Georgia and South Carolina. Chota was recognized by Europeans as well as other Indians for its powerful economic influence and was regarded as the capital of the Cherokee nation. The University of Tennessee conducted excavations of Chota from 1969-1974 in anticipation of the flooding of the Lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The university worked under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal investigator, Alfred K. Guthe. Field Directors, J. Worth Greene, Duane H. King, and Gerald F. Schroedl.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002520
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
30    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: 1843 Nov. 3 [of] David Taylor and Gideon Morgan
Signer : David Taylor
Date Created: 1843-11-03
Abstract: This document is a sworn statement dated November 3, 1843 given by David Taylor and Gideon Morgan regarding the marriage of Rebecca Henson, of Cherokee descent, and Preston Starritt.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Expansion and Reform (1801-1861)
Collection: Penelope Allen Collection, 1801-1984
Contributing Institution: University of Tennessee Special Collections Library
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000003107
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
31    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Address of the Cherokee Chiefs to the Cherokee Nation, ca. 1806
Author; Signer : Double Head
Author; Signer : The Glass
Author; Signer : Dick Justice
Date Created: 1806
Abstract: This document is a speech given by the young Cherokee Chiefs circa 1806 in Nine Towns. The young Chiefs try to dispel rumors of the old Chiefs selling land and say they should be praised for bringing peace to the Nation. They also chose a new "Beloved Man" to replace the one who died.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Expansion and Reform (1801-1861)
Collection: Penelope Allen Collection, 1801-1984
Contributing Institution: University of Tennessee Special Collections Library
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000003035
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
32    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Drawing of Fort Loudoun, British military post from 1756-1760, lower Little Tennessee River.
Artist; Creator : Doug Henry
Date Created: 1975
Abstract: This is a drawing of Fort Loudoun, a British colonial military post on the lower Little Tennessee River that was occupied from 1756-1760. It was built in Overhill Cherokee territory in what is presently Monroe County and named for John Campbell, the Earl of Loudoun, who was commander-in-chief of British forces in the colonies. William G. De Brahm designed the fort, but abandoned the project because of disagreements he had with Capt. Demerre who commanded the militia troops and British regulars stationed at the post. Survival of this frontier outpost was dependent upon good relations with the Cherokees who supplied food for trade goods. During the French and Indian War, tensions began to mount between the Cherokees and the colonists. In March 1760 the Cherokees laid siege to the fort, cutting off supplies and forcing its surrender. Excavations of Fort Loudoun were conducted by the University of Tennessee from 1975-1977 in anticipation of the flooding of the lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal investigator and Field Director, Carl Kutruff.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Revolution and the New Nation (1754-1820)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002495
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
33    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Discharge of Samuel Beard from the Tennessee Volunteers
Signer : E. Bradley
Signer : John Wallace
Date Created: 1814-09-20
Abstract: The honorable discharge of Samuel Beard from the Tennessee Volunteers certifies that he served under Major General Andrew Jackson from September 26, 1813 until December 26, 1813. It states that he performed his duty faithfully as a good soldier. John Wallace was his captain, and the discharge is signed by Colonel E. Wallace.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Expansion and Reform (1801-1861)
Collection: Tennessee Historical Society Miscellaneous Files, 1688-1951
Contributing Institution: Tennessee Historical Society
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200700000001686
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
34    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Indian Ridgefield photographs
Photographer : Edgar undefined Calhoun
Date Created: 1967-01
Abstract: These five photographs were taken by Edgar Calhoun at excavation sites of Native American burial mounds and includes one photograph of two boys, one boy is digging and behind him is a pile of what appear to be human bones. Cornfields compose the background of these photographs.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Postwar United States (1945-1970)
Collection: Calhoun, Edgar. Photographs and Negatives, 1882-1974
Contributing Institution: Archives of the City of Kingsport
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000001586
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
35    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: 1837 Jan. 13, Spoliation Claim
Complainant : Edward Graves
Defendant : United States Government
Complainant : Sarah Graves
Date Created: 1837-01-13
Abstract: This document is a spoliation claim made by Edward and Sarah Graves requesting that the United States government pay them the sum of forty-eight dollars for 12 hogs that were killed by troops under the command of General White during the Creek War.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Expansion and Reform (1801-1861)
Collection: Penelope Allen Collection, 1801-1984
Contributing Institution: University of Tennessee Special Collections Library
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000003088
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
36    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: 1808 Apr. 10, Greenville, So[uth] Carolina [to] Return J. Meigs, Highwassee
Author : Elias Earle
Recipient : Return J. Meigs, 1740-1823
Date Created: 1808-04-10
Abstract: This document is a letter dated April 10, 1806 from Colonel Elias Earle to Return J. Meigs, agent for Indian affairs. Earle informs Meigs that an unnamed treaty recently signed with the Cherokees has not been ratified and speculates that the failure is attributable to an inaccurate map of the United States. Earle mentions a memorial sent by [James] Vann and [Charles] Hicks. He also discusses the storage of corn at Highwassee as opposed to Chickama[u]ga Creek, both inside the Cherokee Nation. Earle was a congressman from Greenville, South Carolina.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Expansion and Reform (1801-1861)
Collection: Penelope Allen Collection, 1801-1984
Contributing Institution: University of Tennessee Special Collections Library
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000003076
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
37    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Computer generated topographic site map of the Chattooga site, created in 1993
Cartographer : Eric Howard
Cartographer : Brett Riggs
Date Created: 1993
Abstract: This is a computer generated topographic site map of the Chattooga site indicating the location of archaeological structures. Chattooga is a Cherokee archaeological site that was formerly called 'Cherokee Town.' Cherokee Town was an 18th century village associated with the Lower town Cherokee communities of northern Georgia and western South Carolina. The site is thought to have been occupied for only 160 years and was abandoned by the Cherokees in the 1740s. This site is given special attention because it retained early 18th century Cherokee material culture. This material culture is difficult to find and distinguish on other Cherokee sites of the same time period. The University of Tennessee (UT) and the Francis Marion National Forest conducted archaeological excavations at Chattooga during 1989-1994. The focus of these excavations was to develop a better understanding of the nature of the historical Cherokee occupation at the site and compare these findings with those found on other 18th century Cherokee sites. As a result of these excavations, archaeologists were able to identify and partially excavate the remains of five superimposed council houses. In addition, the excavations of two winter structures and one summer domestic structure were conducted. Through the use of surface collection, test pit excavations, and remote sensing equipment, vast amounts of artifacts and the location of additional buildings and features were found with minimal disturbance to the site.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002482
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
38    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Computer generated map of an excavation unit at the Chattooga site, created in 1993
Cartographer : Eric Howard
Cartographer : Brett Riggs
Date Created: 1993
Abstract: This is a computer generated map of an excavated unit at the Chattooga site. Chattooga is a Cherokee archaeological site that was formerly called 'Cherokee Town.' Cherokee Town was an 18th century village associated with the Lower town Cherokee communities of northern Georgia and western South Carolina. The site is thought to have been occupied for only 160 years and was abandoned by the Cherokees in the 1740s. This site is given special attention because it retained early 18th century Cherokee material culture. This material culture is difficult to find and distinguish on other Cherokee sites of the same time period. The University of Tennessee (UT) and the Francis Marion National Forest conducted archaeological excavations at Chattooga during 1989-1994. The focus of these excavations was to develop a better understanding of the nature of the historical Cherokee occupation at the site and compare these findings with those found on other 18th century Cherokee sites. As a result of these excavations, archaeologists were able to identify and partially excavate the remains of five superimposed council houses. In addition, the excavations of two winter structures and one summer domestic structure were conducted. Through the use of surface collection, test pit excavations, and remote sensing equipment, vast amounts of artifacts and the location of additional buildings and features were found with minimal disturbance to the site.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002475
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
39    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Computer generated map of an excavation unit at Chattooga showing post hole pattern of the Chattooga townhouse, created in 1993
Cartographer : Eric Howard
Cartographer : Brett Riggs
Date Created: 1993
Abstract: This is a computer generated map of an excavated unit at the Chattooga site, showing the post hole pattern of the Chattooga townhouse. Chattooga is a Cherokee archaeological site that was formerly called 'Cherokee Town.' Cherokee Town was an 18th century village associated with the Lower town Cherokee communities of northern Georgia and western South Carolina. The site is thought to have been occupied for only 160 years and was abandoned by the Cherokees in the 1740s. This site is given special attention because it retained early 18th century Cherokee material culture. This material culture is difficult to find and distinguish on other Cherokee sites of the same time period. The University of Tennessee (UT) and the Francis Marion National Forest conducted archaeological excavations at Chattooga during 1989-1994. The focus of these excavations was to develop a better understanding of the nature of the historical Cherokee occupation at the site and compare these findings with those found on other 18th century Cherokee sites. As a result of these excavations, archaeologists were able to identify and partially excavate the remains of five superimposed council houses. In addition, the excavations of two winter structures and one summer domestic structure were conducted. Through the use of surface collection, test pit excavations and remote sensing equipment, vast amounts of artifacts and location of additional buildings/features were found with minimal disturbance to the site.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002491
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
40    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Esteban Miro in New Orleans to James Robertson in Nashville
Author : Esteban Miro
Date Created: 1789-04-20
Abstract: A letter written by Miro, the governor of Louisiana which was a Spanish territory at the time, to Colonel James Robertson. In the letter Miro states that he contacted Creek Indians and they agreed to "not trouble" the white people again. He plans to go to Illinois to further urge peace with the Indians. He also agrees to give a passport to Robertson`s son-in-law who desired to settle in Louisiana, and urges the entire family to move with the assurance that they would not be bothered if they settled in the province.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Revolution and the New Nation (1754-1820)
Collection: James Robertson Papers
Contributing Institution: Vanderbilt University Library
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002711
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
41    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Map of Tennessee, pre-1838
Creator : F. Lums
Date Created: 1796 - 1838
Abstract: Map is pre-1838; shows Cherokee lands in southeastern Tennessee, huge western counties.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Expansion and Reform (1801-1861)
Collection: Map Collection
Contributing Institution: Tennessee State Library and Archives
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200700000002685
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
42    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Receipt of bounty for the return of stolen horses
Attributed name : United States Government
Attributed name : Francis B. Sappington
Date Created: 1797-12-22
Abstract: Inventory of items paid to two Cherokee Indians in exchange for the return of ten horses stolen from the Creek Nation. In lieu of money, the payment was in goods, including a rifle, powder, buttons, thread, linen and silk cloth. The date of the original agreement was December 22, 1797. The receipt of the items was witnessed and signed by Francis B. Sappington and Edmund Crutcher, Indian Agents, on January 30, 1798.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Revolution and the New Nation (1754-1820)
Collection: Receipt of Bounty for the Return of Stolen Horses
Contributing Institution: University of Tennessee Special Collections
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200700000001901
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
43    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: 1834 Apr. 9, [to] the Cherokee Delegation
Signer : George Blain
Author : Cherokee Nation
Date Created: 1834-04-09
Abstract: This document is a letter dated April 9th 1834 to the Cherokee Delegation from several members of the Cherokee Nation regarding people who are not of Cherokee descent occupying and claiming land within the Cherokee Nation.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Expansion and Reform (1801-1861)
Collection: Penelope Allen Collection, 1801-1984
Contributing Institution: University of Tennessee Special Collections Library
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000003105
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
44    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of mid-18th century trade beads, kaolin pipe fragments, small metal buttons, and fragments of European ceramics, Chota
Photographer : George Fielder
Date Created: 1969
Abstract: This photograph is of glass trade beads, kaolin pipe fragments, and small metal button fragments found in excavations of the mid-18th century Cherokee village of Chota. The Overhill Cherokees traded actively with the lower Cherokees of Georgia and South Carolina. Chota was recognized by Europeans as well as other Indians for its powerful economic influence and was regarded as the capital of the Cherokee nation. Excavations of Chota and other Overhill villages were conducted by the University of Tennessee between 1967 and 1983 as part of the Tellico Archaeological Project in anticipation of the flooding of the Lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal investigator, Alfred K. Guthe. Field Director, J. Worth Greene.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002517
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
45    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of the postholes from a mid-18th century Cherokee winter domestic house at Chota
Photographer : George Fielder
Date Created: 1969
Abstract: This photograph shows the postholes of an 18th century domestic winter house at Chota, a former Overhill Cherokee village in what is today Monroe County. Winter houses were conical in shape with four central support posts and were generally about 30 feet in diameter and 15 feet high. Adjacent to these round winter homes was usually a rectangular building used for summer habitation. Excavations of Chota and other Overhill villages were conducted by the University of Tennessee between 1967 and 1983 as part of the Tellico Archaeological Project in anticipation of the flooding of the Lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal investigator, Alfred K. Guthe. Field Director, J. Worth Greene.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002514
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
46    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of small ceramic bowl excavated at Chota, taken in 1969
Photographer : George Fielder
Date Created: 1969
Abstract: This is a photograph of a small ceramic bowl recovered by excavations at Chota. Chota or Echota was an Overhill Cherokee village located in what is today Monroe County, Tennessee. In the mid-18th century, Chota was recognized by Europeans as well as other Indians for its powerful socio-economic influence and was regarded as the capital of the Cherokee Nation. Chota, as with all the Overhill Cherokee sites, is now inundated by the Tellico Reservoir. Excavations of Overhill Cherokee villages were conducted by the University of Tennessee between 1967 and 1983 as part of the Tellico Archaeological Project. Excavations continued until 1983, and laboratory studies and report preparation continued until 1987. The excavations were conducted in anticipation of the flooding of the Lower Little Tennessee River Valley, in eastern Tennessee, by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal Investigator, Alfred K. Guthe. Field Director, J. Worth Greene.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002537
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
47    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of mid-18th century gunflints, musket balls, and lockplate recovered from Chota
Photographer : George Fielder
Date Created: 1967
Abstract: This photograph is of gunflints, musket balls, and a lockplate, all of which were mid-18th century trade items of the Cherokees found in archaeological excavations of Chota in what is today Monroe County. Chota was recognized by Europeans as well as other Indians for its powerful economic influence and was regarded as the capital of the Cherokee nation. Excavations of Chota and other Overhill villages were conducted by the University of Tennessee between 1967 and 1983 as part of the Tellico Archaeological Project in anticipation of the flooding of the Lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA).
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002518
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
48    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of a carved steatite (soapstone) pipe excavated at the former site of the mid-18th century Cherokee town of Chota, take
Photographer : George Fielder
Date Created: 1969
Abstract: This is a photograph of a mid-18th century Cherokee carved steatite (soapstone) pipe that was excavated at the site of Chota in 1969. Chota was recognized by Native Americans and European settlers as a powerful social and economic influence and was regarded as the capital of the Cherokee nation. Excavations of Chota and other Overhill villages were conducted by the University of Tennessee as part of the Tellico Archaeological Project in anticipation of the flooding of the lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal investigator, Alfred K. Guthe. Field Director, J. Worth Greene.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002528
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
49    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of fragment of Cherokee vessel with check stamp design, Chota, taken in 1969
Photographer : George Fielder
Date Created: 1969
Abstract: This is a photograph of a fragment of a Cherokee clay pot with a check stamp design. It was recovered in Chota by the University of Tennessee in 1969. Chota was recognized by Europeans as well as other Indians for its powerful social and economic influence and was regarded as the capital of the Cherokee nation. Excavations were conducted in anticipation of the flooding of the Lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The university worked under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal investigator, Alfred K. Guthe. Field Director, J. Worth Greene.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002522
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
50    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: 1836 Sept. 21, Floyd County, Georgia [to] Head of Coosa
Signer : George M. Lavender
Date Created: 1836-09-21
Abstract: This document, dated September 21, 1836, is a certified statement by George M. Lavender concerning the average per day income of a ferry where he had resided for several years.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Expansion and Reform (1801-1861)
Collection: Penelope Allen Collection, 1801-1984
Contributing Institution: University of Tennessee Special Collections Library
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000003111
add to bookbag | view long format in new window

26 to 50 of 229
1 | 26 | 51 | 76 | 101 | 126 | 151 | 176 | 201 | 226
< Previous hits
Next hits >