Bibliographic Records


Database: Volunteer Voices: The Growth of Democracy in Tennessee
Query: vvcat: "D.2"


26 to 50 of 155
1 | 26 | 51 | 76 | 101 | 126 | 151
< Previous hits
Next hits >

26    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Avalon Home as a Women's Dormitory of Nashville Bible College
Photographer : H.O. Fuller
Date Created: 1900 - 1930
Abstract: Avalon was originally a dairy on the Lipscomb farm, and this home of David and Margaret Lipscomb was named for it. It was originally the president's home until it was converted to a women's dormitory. It served as a women's dorm from 1904 until March, 1930, when it burned down.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     The Emergence of Modern America (1890-1930)
Collection: Nashville Bible School
Contributing Institution: Lipscomb University -Beaman Library
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002297
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
27    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Henry Warren in Atlanta, Georgia to O.P. Temple
Attributed name : Henry W. Warren
Associated name : Oliver Perry Temple, 1820-1907
Date Created: 1883-03-31
Abstract: Bishop Warren expresses gratitude for Temple`s statement as to the advantages of Knoxville for location of University buildings.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     The Development of the Industrial United States (1870-1900)
Collection: The O.P. Temple Papers, 1832-
Contributing Institution: University of Tennessee Special Collections Library
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200700000002471
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
28    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Graduation at Centenary Female College
Photographer : J. S. Hancock
Date Created: 1890 - 1900
Abstract: Verso side of photograph: "Centenary Female College, Cleveland, Tennessee. Graduation class about 1896. The girls are on marble steps which were removed in 1907." The photographer signed his name, J.S. Hancock, in the lower left-hand corner. The date recorded, May 1963, is when his collection was donated to the Cleveland Public Library.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     The Emergence of Modern America (1890-1930)
Collection: Cleveland Public Library History Branch Collection
Contributing Institution: Southeast Tennessee Digital Archive Cleveland State Community College
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000001441
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
29    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Town Platt of Greenbrier, Tennessee 1882
Recording engineer; Signer : J.B. Atkins
Date Created: 1882-01-10
Abstract: Plans for an addition to Green Brier, scale is 165ft to the inch. Located in Deed Book 22, page 160.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     The Development of the Industrial United States (1870-1900)
Collection: County Records
Contributing Institution: Robertson County Archives
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000003594
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
30    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Green School
Photographer : J.R. Ross Jr.
Date Created: 1941
Abstract: This photograph is titled, "Green School".
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     The Great Depression and World War II (1929-1945)
Collection: Beck Cultural Exchange Center
Contributing Institution: Beck Cultural Exchange Center
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002112
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
31    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Demolition of Bradley County Courthouse
Photographer : James Stile Hancock
Date Created: 1963
Abstract: James Stile Hancock took this photograph in 1963 as the Bradley County Courthouse in Tennessee was being torn down. It is dated June 1, 1963.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Postwar United States (1945-1970)
Collection: Cleveland Public Library History Branch Collection
Contributing Institution: Southeast Tennessee Digital Archive Cleveland State Community College
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000001450
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
32    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of Fort Loudoun, British colonial military post from 1756-1760, lower Little Tennessee River
Photographer : Jefferson Chapman
Date Created: 1978 - 1998
Abstract: This is a photograph of Fort Loudoun, a British colonial military post on the lower Little Tennessee River that was occupied from 1756-1760. It was built in Overhill Cherokee territory in what is presently Monroe County and named for John Campbell, the Earl of Loudoun, who was commander-in-chief of British forces in the colonies. William G. De Brahm designed the fort, but abandoned the project because of disagreements he had with Capt. Demerre who commanded the militia troops and British regulars stationed at the post. Survival of this frontier outpost was dependent upon good relations with the Cherokees who supplied food for trade goods. During the French and Indian War, tensions began to mount between the Cherokees and the colonists. In March 1760 the Cherokees laid siege to the fort, cutting off supplies and forcing its surrender. Excavations of Fort Loudoun were conducted by the University of Tennessee from 1975-1977 in anticipation of the flooding of the lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal investigator and Field Director, Carl Kutruff.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Contemporary United States (1968-present)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002492
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
33    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Bradley County Courthouse, 1963
Photographer : John Stile Hancock
Date Created: 1963
Abstract: This photograph was taken shortly before the Bradley County Courthouse was demolished in 1963. The courthouse was built in 1892.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Postwar United States (1945-1970)
Collection: Cleveland Public Library History Branch Collection
Contributing Institution: Southeast Tennessee Digital Archive Cleveland State Community College
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000001448
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
34    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Giles County Court House
Recipient : Kelley, Mrs. C. and Dorothy
Date Created: 1951
Abstract: 2 tifs. A postcard of the Giles County Courthouse in Pulaski, Tennessee sent from Pulaski, Tennessee to Louisville, Kentucky. The black and white photograph of the building shows a street lined with cards in front of a renaissance revival style courthouse, with a colonnaded clock tower atop the building. The entrance is framed with corinthian columns, and the facades of the building are brick arches that frame square windows. The first courthouse was built in 1811, and due to fire the building had to be reconstructed three times. The courthouse was re-built in 1859 by the George Moore and Sons company, and cost nearly $30,000 to complete. It stood through the American Civil War, but suffered much damage. It was constructed again in 1908 at a cost of $133,000. The courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. The verso reads: "Tuesday AM, Rain all the way thru Nashville. Stopped for the night at Columbia, Tenn. About 50 mi. south of Nashville. Had a nice room in Tourist home. Good luck so far. Love Ada and Ray. Sent to Mrs. C. Kelley and Dorothy in Louisville, KY."
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Postwar United States (1945-1970)
Collection: Postcard Collection
Contributing Institution: Giles County Historical Society
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000001636
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
35    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Drawing depicting Cherokee townhouse and summer pavilion posthole patterns at mid-18th century Tomotley
Cartographer : Marion Drescher
Date Created: 1976
Abstract: This is a drawing of posthole patterns dating back to the mid-18th century of a winter townhouse (top) and summer pavilion (below) from the Overhill Cherokee town of Tomotley. All political and social events were held in these townhouses. The winter townhouse was a large conical structure, which contained amphitheater seating around a central hearth. The rectangular summer town or council house was an open pavilion suitable for warm weather. Excavations of Tomotley were conducted by the University of Tennessee in 1976 as part of the Tellico Archaeological Project in anticipation of the flooding of the Lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal investigator, Alfred K. Guthe. Field Director, Gerald F. Schroedl.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002547
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
36    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Drawing of posthole pattern of Overhill Cherokee townhouse, summer pavilion, and large pit-features at Chota
Cartographer : Marion Drescher
Date Created: 1974 - 1984
Abstract: This photograph of a drawing shows the posthole patterns of a Cherokee townhouse, summer pavilion, and large pit-features at Chota. Townhouses, or council houses, were large circular dome structures that served as an arena for all political and social events. The summer pavilion, which was open and rectangular in shape was used for the same purpose during warmer weather. Pits were dug for burials and for storage of refuse. The drawing is based on historical descriptions as well as archaeological excavations conducted by The University of Tennessee from 1969-1974. The excavations were conducted in anticipation of the flooding of the Lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal investigator, Alfred K. Guthe. Field Directors, J. Worth Greene, Duane H. King, and Gerald F. Schroedl.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002512
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
37    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Drawing of the posthole pattern of a mid-18th century Cherokee townhouse at Mialoquo
Cartographer : Marion Drescher
Date Created: 1977
Abstract: This is a drawing of a posthole pattern of an 18th century Cherokee winter townhouse at Mialoquo. Overhill townhouses were situated in a common village plaza. There was generally a winter townhouse, which was a large circular dome in which a fire could be built in the center and an adjacent rectangular open pavilion for summer use. Both were used for public social and political activity. Excavations of Mialoquo were conducted by the University of Tennessee in 1977 as part of the Tellico Archaeological Project in anticipation of the flooding of the Lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal investigator, Jefferson Chapman. Field Director, Gerald F. Schroedl.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002549
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
38    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: The McClung house
Architect : McClung family
Date Created: 1790
Abstract: The McClung House was built a few miles southwest of Knoxville on what would later become Kingston Pike. It is thought to be built around the 1790s by the McClung family, who would become a prominent East Tennessee family.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Revolution and the New Nation (1754-1820)
Collection: Museum of Appalachia
Contributing Institution: Museum of Appalachia
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000000519
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
39    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: The courthouse in Dayton, Tennessee
Photographer : McElhose
Date Created: 1910 - 1930
Abstract: This photograph is titled, "The courthouse in Dayton, Tennessee". This is the same Rhea County Courthose that was the scene of the Scopes trial. This famous trial gained national attention as a contest between Darwinian evolutionary science and Biblical fundamentalist doctrine.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     The Emergence of Modern America (1890-1930)
Collection: Clyde W. Roddy Public Library
Contributing Institution: Clyde W. Roddy Public Library
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002077
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
40    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Letter from Merchant and Company in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to O.P. Temple in Knoxville, Tennessee
Attributed name : Merchant and Company
Associated name : Oliver Perry Temple, 1820-1907
Date Created: 1885-10-20
Abstract: Notice seen in Industrial Review of Temple`s intention to build; sends samples of roofing plates.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     The Development of the Industrial United States (1870-1900)
Collection: The O.P. Temple Papers, 1832-
Contributing Institution: University of Tennessee Special Collections Library
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200700000002477
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
41    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: P. S. Wilcox in Sullivan County, Tennessee to George E. Penn, Jr. in Kingsport, Tennessee
Attributed name : P. S. Wilcox
Associated name : George E. Penn
Date Created: 1941-02-07
Abstract: This letter from P. S. Wilcox to George E. Penn, Jr., indicates enclosure of a check for $2.75 he contributed to a Christmas campaign for the incarcerated in the City Jail at Kingsport. Mr. Wilcox also suggests that they get together to build decent facilities to replace the City Jail at Kingsport and the County Jail at Blountville. Copies of the letter were sent to Mr. J. Fred Johnson, Mr. J. C. White, and Mr. J. C. Stone.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     The Great Depression and World War II (1929-1945)
Collection: Johnson, J. Fred and Family. Collection, 1893-mid 1990s
Contributing Institution: Archives of the City of Kingsport
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200700000002632
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
42    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Craggie Hope Post Office, Craggie Hope, Tennessee, c. 1953
Creator : Ralph G Morrissey, 1903-1956
Date Created: 1953
Abstract: Photograph of the Craggie Hope Post Office in Craggie Hope, Tennessee, c. 1953.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Postwar United States (1945-1970)
Collection: Ralph G. Morrissey Photograph Collection, c. 1883-1956
Contributing Institution: Tennessee Historical Society
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200700000002740
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
43    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: White Bluff Railroad Station Depot, Dickson, Co. Tennessee, 1952
Creator : Ralph G Morrissey, 1903-1956
Date Created: 1952
Abstract: Photograph of the White Bluff Railroad Station Depot in Dickson County, Tennessee, c. 1952.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Postwar United States (1945-1970)
Collection: Ralph G. Morrissey Photograph Collection, c. 1883-1956
Contributing Institution: Tennessee Historical Society
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200700000002742
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
44    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Old well, Craggie Hope, Tennessee
Creator : Ralph G Morrissey, 1903-1956
Date Created: 1953
Abstract: Photograph of an old well in Craggie Hope, Tennessee, c. 1953.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Postwar United States (1945-1970)
Collection: Ralph G. Morrissey Photograph Collection, c. 1883-1956
Contributing Institution: Tennessee Historical Society
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200700000002741
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
45    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Cumberland River Bridge in the Making
Photographer : Raymond G. Whitfield
Date Created: 1927-08-24
Abstract: This is a photograph of the Cumberland River Bridge under construction.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     The Emergence of Modern America (1890-1930)
Collection: Raymond G. Whitfield Scrapbook
Contributing Institution: Tennessee Tech University- Volpe Library
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000001941
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
46    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: J. D. Loftis Garage
Photographer : raymond G. Whitfield
Date Created: 1927-02
Abstract: This is a photograph of J.D. Loftis Garage.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     The Emergence of Modern America (1890-1930)
Collection: Raymond G. Whitfield Scrapbook
Contributing Institution: Tennessee Tech University- Volpe Library
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000001939
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
47    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: New Courthouse, Gainsboro, Tennessee
Photographer : Raymond G. Whitfield
Date Created: 1927-10-15
Abstract: This is a photograph of the "new", as of 1927, courthouse in Gainesboro, Tennessee.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     The Emergence of Modern America (1890-1930)
Collection: Raymond G. Whitfield Scrapbook
Contributing Institution: Tennessee Tech University- Volpe Library
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000001934
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
48    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of posthole patterns of Cherokee winter and summer domestic houses at the former site of the mid-18th century Cherokee
Photographer : Robert D.
Date Created: 1978
Abstract: This is a photograph of posthole patterns of mid-18th century summer and winter domestic dwellings from the Overhill Cherokee town of Citico. As was common in most Overhill villages winter houses were built in a circular dome structure which contained a central hearth for fire. Adjacent to the winter home was an open rectangular summer pavilion used in warm weather. Excavations were conducted by the University of Tennessee in 1978 in anticipation of the flooding of the lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal investigator, Jefferson Chapman. Field Director, Robert D. Newman.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002529
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
49    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of the posthole pattern of a Cherokee townhouse at the former site of the mid-18th century Cherokee town of Toqua, take
Photographer : Robert D. Newman
Date Created: 1977
Abstract: This is a photograph of the posthole pattern of a Cherokee winter townhouse at the former site of mid-18th century Toqua. Winter townhouses were cone-shaped and appeared to look like small mountains from a distance. Townhouses were used for all public, social, and political events. Some were large enough to hold 500 people. The seats were arranged like an amphitheater with the seats rising one above another, leaving an area in the center for a fire. Excavations were conducted by the University of Tennessee in 1977 in anticipation of the flooding of the lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal investigator, Jefferson Chapman. Field Director, Robert D. Newman.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002530
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
50    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of the central hearth of a Cherokee townhouse in mid-18th century Toqua
Photographer : Robert D. Newman
Date Created: 1977
Abstract: This is a photograph of the central hearth of a Cherokee townhouse at Toqua, a mid-18th century Overhill Cherokee Village on the Little Tennessee River (present day Monroe County, Tennessee). The village, whose name means place of a mythic great fish, is on the same site as a late Mississippian Dallas culture, 1200-1600 A.D. American Revolutionary War forces destroyed the town in 1776 and 1780. It was destroyed again in 1788 post-war hostilities. In the 1970's, extensive archaeological excavations were conducted prior to its inundation by the waters of the Tellico Dam Reservoir. These excavations uncovered Mississippian structures as well as those of 18th century Cherokee. Of the latter were recorded 2 townhouses, 10 dwellings, and a number of refuse pits and burials. Excavations of Overhill Cherokee Villages were conducted by the University of Tennessee between 1967 and 1983 as part of the Tellico Archaeological Project. Excavations continued until 1983, and laboratory studies and report preparation continued until 1987. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal Investigator, Jefferson Chapman. Field Director, Robert D. Newman.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Revolution and the New Nation (1754-1820)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002535
add to bookbag | view long format in new window

26 to 50 of 155
1 | 26 | 51 | 76 | 101 | 126 | 151
< Previous hits
Next hits >