Bibliographic Records


Database: Volunteer Voices: The Growth of Democracy in Tennessee
Query: vvcat: "D.9"


26 to 50 of 109
1 | 26 | 51 | 76 | 101
< Previous hits
Next hits >

26    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of pit feature filled with refuse at mid-18th century Tomotley
Photographer : Gerald F. Schroedl
Date Created: 1974
Abstract: This is a photograph of a pit-feature at the Overhill Cherokee town of Tomotley. The pit was originally used to recover soil or to store food, and was later filled with refuse. Excavations of Overhill Cherokee villages were conducted by the University of Tennessee between 1967 and 1983 as part of the Tellico Archaeological Project. Excavations continued until 1983, and laboratory studies and report preparation continued until 1987. The excavations were conducted in anticipation of the flooding of the Lower Little Tennessee River Valley, in eastern Tennessee, by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal Investigator, Alfred K. Guthe. Field Director, Gerald F. Schroedl.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002532
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
27    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of the Fort Marr Blockhouse in Benton, Tennessee
Photographer : Gerald F. Schroedl
Date Created: 1980
Abstract: This photograph is of the Fort Marr Blockhouse located at Benton in Polk County, Tennessee. Fort Marr, also known as 'The Old Fort,' was constructed around 1814 near Old Fort, Tennessee. The fort was positioned along the Old Federal Road and housed troops who were assigned to protect white travelers using the road and the Cherokees from Creek retaliation. The fort was also said to have been used to safeguard supplies and as a campsite for soldiers in transit during the Creek War of 1814-1815. The name Fort Marr was established when the fort was renovated into a stockade to use during the removal of the Cherokee people to the west. It is believed that the fort was named after George Washington Lent Marr, who served under Andrew Jackson during the War of 1812 and the campaign of 1813-1814. After being relocated several times since its construction, it was moved to its present location at Benton in 1965. In 1980, Fort Marr became the property of the Conservation Department of the state of Tennessee to be maintained and used as a historic site.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Expansion and Reform (1801-1861)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002501
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
28    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of a reconstructed blockhouse and stockade wall at Fort Southwest Point, Kingston, Tennessee, taken ca. 1980s
Photographer : Gerald F. Schroedl
Date Created: 1980
Abstract: This photograph is of a reconstructed blockhouse and stockade wall at Fort Southwest Point, located near the city of Kingston, in Roane County, Tennessee. The blockhouse is constructed from hewn logs and is one of four reconstructed blockhouses at the fort. The stockade was was first used as a defensive wall, but eventually was used to contain the Cherokees who were to be removed to the west. Fort Southwest Point was established in 1792 as a blockhouse post for the territorial militia troops that were protecting white settlers from Indian acts of hostility. By 1797, the militia was replaced by Federal troops whose goals were to maintain peace with the Indians and protect their rights on the frontier. During the years between 1801-1807, the fort was established as the headquarter for the Cherokee Agency. In 1974, archaeological crews from the University of Tennessee unearthed portions of six fort building foundations, the remains of a massive stone wall, and many fort-period artifacts. A 1984 excavation of the site by the Department of Conservation and the City of Kingston located the sites of a total of thirteen buildings. These buildings include an officer's barracks, four blockhouses, and several buildings that are believed to have been barracks. A complementary excavation in 1986 revealed the location of two more buildings, bringing the total to fifteen buildings. The excavation also produced a more detailed examination of the palisade and stone wall enclosures.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Revolution and the New Nation (1754-1820)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002483
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
29    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of unexcavated structural ruins at Fort Southwest Point in Kingston, Tennessee, taken circa 1980s
Photographer : Gerald F. Schroedl
Date Created: 1980
Abstract: This photograph is of unexcavated structural ruins at Fort Southwest Point, located near the city of Kingston, in Roane County, Tennessee. The ruins show that the structures were composed of stacked mortared and unmortared limestone blocks and, occasionally, river rocks. Fort Southwest Point was established in 1792 as a blockhouse post for the territorial militia troops that were protecting white settlers from Indian acts of hostility. By 1797, the militia was replaced by Federal troops whose goals were to maintain peace with the Indians and protect their rights on the frontier. During the years between 1801-1807, the fort was established as the headquarters for the Cherokee Agency. In 1974, archaeological crews from the University of Tennessee unearthed portions of six fort building foundations, the remains of a massive stone wall, and many fort-period artifacts. A 1984 excavation of the site by the Department of Conservation and the City of Kingston located the sites of a total of thirteen buildings. These buildings include an officer's barracks, four blockhouses, and several buildings that are believed to have been barracks. A complementary excavation in 1986 revealed the location of two more buildings, bringing the total to fifteen buildings. The excavation also produced a more detailed examination of the palisade and stone wall enclosures, and uncovered several historic and prehistoric features. Additional excavations were conducted at Fort Southwest Point in the 1990s.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Revolution and the New Nation (1754-1820)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002509
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
30    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of the interior of Fort Loudoun, British colonial military post from 1756-1760, lower Little Tennessee River
Photographer : Gerald F. Schroedl
Date Created: 1975
Abstract: This is a photograph of the interior of Fort Loudoun, a British colonial military post on the lower Little Tennessee River that was occupied from 1756-1760. It was built in Overhill Cherokee territory in what is presently Monroe County and named for John Campbell, the Earl of Loudoun, who was commander-in-chief of British forces in the colonies. William G. De Brahm designed the fort, but abandoned the project because of disagreements he had with Capt. Demerre who commanded the militia troops and British regulars stationed at the post. Survival of this frontier outpost was dependent on good relations with the Cherokees who supplied food for trade goods. During the French and Indian War, tensions began to mount between the Cherokees and the colonists. In March 1760 the Cherokees laid siege to the fort, cutting off supplies and forcing its surrender. Excavations of Fort Loudoun were conducted by the University of Tennessee from 1975-1977 in anticipation of the flooding of the lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal investigator and Field Director, Carl Kutruff.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Revolution and the New Nation (1754-1820)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002493
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
31    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of unexcavated structural ruins at Fort Southwest Point, Kingston, Tennessee
Photographer : Gerald F. Schroedl
Date Created: 1980
Abstract: This photograph is of unexcavated structural ruins at Fort Southwest Point, located near the city of Kingston, in Roane County, Tennessee. The ruins show that the structures were composed of stacked mortared and unmortared limestone blocks and, occasionally, river rocks. Fort Southwest Point was established in 1792 as a blockhouse post for the territorial militia troops that were protecting white settlers from Indian acts of hostility. By 1797, the militia was replaced by Federal troops whose goals were to maintain peace with the Indians and protect their rights on the frontier. During the years between 1801-1807, the fort was established as the headquarters for the Cherokee Agency. In 1974, archaeological crews from the University of Tennessee unearthed portions of six fort building foundations, the remains of a massive stone wall, and many fort-period artifacts. A 1984 excavation of the site by the Department of Conservation and the City of Kingston located the sites of a total of thirteen buildings. These buildings include and officer's barracks, four blockhouses, and several buildings that are believed to have been barracks. A complementary excavation in 1986 revealed the location of two more buildings, bringing the total to fifteen buildings. The excavation also produced a more detailed examination of the palisade and stone wall enclosures, and uncovered several historic and prehistoric features.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Revolution and the New Nation (1754-1820)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002504
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
32    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of a reconstructed blockhouse at Fort Southwest Point in Kingston, Tennessee, taken circa 1980s
Photographer : Gerald F. Schroedl
Date Created: 1980
Abstract: This photograph is of a reconstructed blockhouse at Fort Southwest Point, located near the city of Kingston, in Roane County, Tennessee. There are four reconstructed blockhouses at the fort, with two blockhouses located at the west end of the fort and the other two located at the east end. Fort Southwest Point was established in 1792 as a blockhouse post for the territorial militia troops that were protecting white settlers from Indian acts of hostility. By 1797, the militia was replaced by Federal troops whose goals were to maintain peace with the Indians and protect their rights on the frontier. During the years between 1801-1807, the fort was established as the headquarters for the Cherokee Agency. In 1974, archaeological crews from the University of Tennessee unearthed portions of six fort building foundations, the remains of a massive stone wall, and many fort-period artifacts. A 1984 excavation of the site by the Department of Conservation and the City of Kingston located the sites of a total of thirteen buildings. These buildings include an officer's barracks, four blockhouses, and several buildings that are believed to have been barracks. A complementary excavation in 1986 revealed the location of two more buildings, bringing the total to fifteen buildings. The excavation also produced an ore detailed examination of the palisade and stone wall enclosures, and uncovered several historic and prehistoric features.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Revolution and the New Nation (1754-1820)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002481
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
33    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of a reconstructed barracks at Fort Southwest Point, Kingston, Tennessee
Photographer : Gerald F. Schroedl
Date Created: 1980
Abstract: This photograph is of a reconstructed barracks at Fort Southwest Point, located near the city of Kingston, in Roane County, Tennessee. The barracks are made with hewn logs and are double penned structures with a fireplace in the middle of the building. The barracks were most likely used to house the enlisted men that occupied the fort. Fort Southwest Point was established in 1792 as a blockhouse post for the territorial militia troops that were protecting white settlers from Indian acts of hostility. By 1797, the militia was replaced by Federal troops whose goals were to maintain peace with the Indians and protect their rights on the frontier. During the years between 1801-1807, the fort was established as the headquarters for the Cherokee Agency. In 1974, archaeological crews from the University of Tennessee unearthed portions of six fort building foundations, the remains of a massive stone wall, and many fort-period artifacts. A 1984 excavation of the site by the Department of Conservation and the City of Kingston located the sites of a total of thirteen buildings. These buildings include an officer's barracks, four blockhouses, and several buildings that are believed to have been barracks. A complementary excavation in 1986 revealed the location of two more buildings, bringing the total to fifteen buildings. The excavation also produced a more detailed examination of the palisade and stone wall enclosures, and uncovered several historic and prehistoric features.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Revolution and the New Nation (1754-1820)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002503
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
34    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of a reconstructed blockhouse at Fort Southwest Point, Kingston, Tennessee
Photographer : Gerald F. Schroeld
Date Created: 1980
Abstract: This photograph is of a reconstructed blockhouse at Fort Southwest Point, located near the city of Kingston, in Roane County, Tennessee. There are four reconstructed blockhouses at the fort, with two blockhouses located at the west end of the fort and the other two located at the east end. Fort Southwest Point was established in 1792 as a blockhouse post for the territorial militia troops that were protecting white settlers from Indian acts of hostility. By 1797, the militia was replaced by Federal troops whose goals were to maintain peace with the Indians and protect their rights on the frontier. During the years between 1801-1807, the fort was established as the headquarters for the Cherokee Agency. In 1974, archaeological crews from the University of Tennessee unearthed portions of six fort building foundations, the remains of a massive stone wall, and many fort-period artifacts. A 1984 excavation of the site by the Department of Conservation and the City of Kingston located the sites of a total of thirteen buildings. These buildings include an officer's barracks, four blockhouses, and several buildings that are believed to have been barracks. A complementary excavation in 1986 revealed the location of two more buildings, bringing the total to fifteen buildings. The excavation also produced a more detailed examination of the palisade and stone wall enclosures, and uncovered several historic and prehistoric features.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Revolution and the New Nation (1754-1820)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002502
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
35    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Plan of Bristol
Surveyor : Henry Anderson
Lithographer : Wagner & McGuigan`s Steam Lith Press. No 4, Franklin Pl. Phila.
Printer : Young & Duross, Philadelphia
Date Created: 1852-08
Abstract: This map shows the survey made by Henry Anderson, C.S., in August of 1852 for J.R. Anderson of Blountville, Tennessee. The map includes information about the town of Bristol, TN and states that 1/4 and 1/2 acre lots are now for sale there.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Expansion and Reform (1801-1861)
Collection: Bristol Historical Association
Contributing Institution: Bristol Historical Association
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002832
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
36    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: 1804 June 25, War Department [to] Colonel Return J. Meigs, South West Point, Tennessee
Author : Henry Dearborn
Date Created: 1804-06-25
Abstract: This document is a letter written by Henry Dearborn, Secretary of War, to Return J. Meigs, Agent to the War Department. Dearborn instructs Meigs to provide a horse and safe passage to Missouri for a Captain Randal.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Expansion and Reform (1801-1861)
Collection: Penelope Allen Collection, 1801-1984
Contributing Institution: University of Tennessee Special Collections Library
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000003127
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
37    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Land Grant
Witness : Houston, Sam, 1793-1863
Signer : Daniel Graham, 1789-1869
Date Created: 1828-11-29
Abstract: A land grant giving property to Augustine Berry. The grant is signed by Tennessee Governor Sam Houston. Secretary of State Daniel Graham`s signature also appears.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Expansion and Reform (1801-1861)
Collection: Early History of Henry County, Tennessee
Contributing Institution: Henry County Archives
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002846
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
38    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Debt Receipt
Signer : J Winchester
Date Created: 1792-07
Abstract: This is a receipt dated 1792 for payment for services rendered by James White in resucing three children of Jacob Zeigler (deceased) from the Indians. It was sworn to as a true debt and signed by J Winchester, a Sumner County Justice of the Peace.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Revolution and the New Nation (1754-1820)
Collection: Estate papers
Contributing Institution: Sumner County Archives
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002737
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
39    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Jesup, Paton & Co. in New York, New York to Mitchell, J.A. in Knoxville, Tennessee
Author : Jesup, Paton & Co.
Recipient : J. A. Mitchell
Date Created: 1881-01-08
Abstract: Requests information about the Rugby settlement.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     The Development of the Industrial United States (1870-1900)
Collection: The O.P. Temple Papers, 1832-
Contributing Institution: University of Tennessee Special Collections Library
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000000769
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
40    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: The Flutist's Monthly Bijou, Vol.2, No. 23
Arranger : J. G. Osbourn
Date Created: 1847
Abstract: A collection of popular operatic airs arranged as solos and duets for the flute and violin. Contains: A Waltz in the Brewer of Preston (004898-CPMLG)/Adam, Osbourn, arr.; Hand Bell Waltz (004899-CPMLG)/Paganini, Osbourn, arr.; Tu Che a Dio (004900-CPMLG)/Donizetti, Osbourn, arr.; On to the Field of Glory (004901-CPM-LG)/Osbourn, arr.; Monterey Gallopade (004902-CPMLG)/Osbourne; It Was Not My Own Native Land (004902-CPMLG)/Brough, W.F., Osbourn, arr.; When Starts Are in the Quiet Skies (004904-CPMLG)/Carusi, Osbourn, arr.; The Lisping Lover (004905-CPMLG)/Blewet, J., Osbourn, arr.; A Wet Sheet and a Flowing Sea (004906-CPMLG)/Walton, Osbourn, arr.144. The Monterey Gallopade arrangement is significant because it is a musical expression of the spirit of American expansionism fueled by President James K. Polk.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Expansion and Reform (1801-1861)
Collection: James K. Polk Sheet Music Collection
Contributing Institution: Center for Popular Music
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000001484
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
41    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Map of the Tennassee Government, formerly Part of North Carolina
Creator : J. T. Scott
Associated name : D. Smith
Date Created: 1795
Abstract: The title on the map is: Map of the Tennassee Government, formerly Part of North Carolina taken Chiefly from Surveys by Gen'l D. Smith and others. Engraved for Carews? American Edition of Guthrie's Geography ?? appears along the top. Map shows Knoxville, Nashville, and Clarksville as well as several Cherokee towns in eastern Tennessee. The site of present-day Memphis is called Chickasaw Bluff, shows the southern boundary of the military reservation in middle Tennessee. Rivers, public roads and various geographic features are labeled, such as "High Broken Ground" in southern middle Tennessee and "Light Soil Long Grass Little Timber Broken Ground on the Heads of these Rivers" in west Tennessee.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Revolution and the New Nation (1754-1820)
Collection: Map Collection
Contributing Institution: Tennessee State Library and Archives
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000001997
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
42    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of small pit filled with charred corn cobs, 18th century Cherokee Village of Tanassee
Photographer : J. Worth Greene
Date Created: 1972
Abstract: This is a photograph of a small pit filled with charred corn cobs used to smudge ceramic vessels or to process deer hides at the Overhill Cherokee Village of Tanasee (Tanasi). Tanasee is sometimes referred to as Chota-Tanasi as the two towns were very close together. Chota and Tanassee were two of over 60 Cherokee settlements in the Southeastern states during the 18th century. Excavations of Overhill Cherokee villages were conducted by the University of Tennessee between 1967 and 1983 as part of the Tellico Archaeological Project. Excavations continued until 1983, and laboratory studies and report preparation continued until 1987. The excavations were conducted in anticipation of the flooding of the Lower Little Tennessee River Valley, in eastern Tennessee, by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal Investigator, Alfred K. Guthe. Field Director, J. Worth Greene.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Colonization and Settlement (1585-1763)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002534
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
43    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: A MAP of The TENNASSEE GOVERNMENT formerly Part of NORTH CAROLINA taken Chiefly from Surveys by Gen,[era]l D. Smith. and others
Cartographer : J.T. Scott
Date Created: 1795
Abstract: This document is a rare map of Tennessee surveyed and engraved circa 1795. The map shows public roads, Indian boundaries, forts, Indian towns, and width of rivers in yards.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Revolution and the New Nation (1754-1820)
Collection: Tennessee State Library, Miscellaneous documents
Contributing Institution: Tennessee State Library and Archives
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002551
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
44    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Land Grant to Hiram Pettyjohn
Witness : James K. Polk, 1795-1849
Date Created: 1841-06-30
Abstract: A land grant given to Hiram Pettyjohn in Henry County, Tennessee, signed by Governor James K. Polk. The grant describes the various trees (such as black oak and poplar) growing on the land.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Expansion and Reform (1801-1861)
Collection: Early History of Henry County, Tennessee
Contributing Institution: Henry County Archives
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002848
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
45    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: 1840 Mar. 26 [to] James S. Porter
Assignee : James S. Porter
Signer : Martin Van Buren, 1782-1862
Associated name : John Easton
Date Created: 1840-03-26
Abstract: This document is a land grant given to James S. Porter from John Easton dated March 26, 1840. The grant specifies what sections of land Porter will get from the lands ceded to the United States from the Chickasaw Nation and John Easton, their commissioner, in the Treaty signed at Pontotoc Creek.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Expansion and Reform (1801-1861)
Collection: The William A. Goodman Historic Documents Collection
Contributing Institution: Memphis Public Library
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000003013
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
46    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Deed for Property from James Sevier to David Deaderick
Creator : James Sevier
Associated name : David Deaderick
Date Created: 1810-11-13
Abstract: Deed for land in Jonesborough, Tennessee which belonged to James Sevier and is being sold to David Deaderick. Provides measurements of the lot. Verso side has statements and signatures verifying that the deed has been registered in the state of Tennessee and Washington County.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Revolution and the New Nation (1754-1820)
Collection: David Deaderick Papers
Contributing Institution: University of Tennessee Special Collections Library
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000001374
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
47    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Photograph of Fort Loudoun, British colonial military post from 1756-1760, lower Little Tennessee River
Photographer : Jefferson Chapman
Date Created: 1978 - 1998
Abstract: This is a photograph of Fort Loudoun, a British colonial military post on the lower Little Tennessee River that was occupied from 1756-1760. It was built in Overhill Cherokee territory in what is presently Monroe County and named for John Campbell, the Earl of Loudoun, who was commander-in-chief of British forces in the colonies. William G. De Brahm designed the fort, but abandoned the project because of disagreements he had with Capt. Demerre who commanded the militia troops and British regulars stationed at the post. Survival of this frontier outpost was dependent upon good relations with the Cherokees who supplied food for trade goods. During the French and Indian War, tensions began to mount between the Cherokees and the colonists. In March 1760 the Cherokees laid siege to the fort, cutting off supplies and forcing its surrender. Excavations of Fort Loudoun were conducted by the University of Tennessee from 1975-1977 in anticipation of the flooding of the lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal investigator and Field Director, Carl Kutruff.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Contemporary United States (1968-present)
Collection: Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Contributing Institution: Frank H. McClung Museum
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000002492
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
48    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: Eight Dollars A Day
Composer : Jesse Hutchinson, 1802-1853
Date Created: 1848
Abstract: This musical composition describes the dissatisfaction of the American people over how their Congressmen are paid eight dollars per day while "Seven dollars a month and to be shot at that is the common soldier's pay While those who send the poor fellows there get Eight dollars a day."
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Expansion and Reform (1801-1861)
Collection: James K. Polk Sheet Music Collection
Contributing Institution: Center for Popular Music
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000001482
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
49    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: William Ashert land entry
Surveyor : Jno. Armstrong
Date Created: 1783-10-22
Abstract: An entry (No. 172) for the survey of 600 acres in Greene County.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Revolution and the New Nation (1754-1820)
Collection: State of Franklin Documents, 1783-1787
Contributing Institution: C. M. McClung Historical Collection
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000001377
add to bookbag | view long format in new window
50    
1 hits in this record:
image of object    View Document
 
Title: 1838 Aug. 30, The United States to Harry Vann of Hightower
Signer : Joe Beanstick
Signer : Loft Shell Surkle
Recipient : Harry Vann
Date Created: 1838-08-30
Abstract: This document, dated August 30, 1838, is a claim by Harry Vann of Hightower towards the United States regarding acreage and those goods needed to build on a home and surrounding land.
Tennessee State Department of Education Eras:
     Expansion and Reform (1801-1861)
Collection: Penelope Allen Collection, 1801-1984
Contributing Institution: University of Tennessee Special Collections Library
URL: http://idserver.utk.edu/?id=200800000003115
add to bookbag | view long format in new window

26 to 50 of 109
1 | 26 | 51 | 76 | 101
< Previous hits
Next hits >