[Diagram of Tellico Blockhouse excavations, American Federal period trading and military post from 1794-1807, Lower Little Tennessee River] / [by Steven Ahler]: a machine-readable transcription
Ahler, Steven R.
This work is the property of the McClung Museum, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN. It may be used freely by individuals for research, teaching, and personal use as long as this statement of availability is included in the text.
This is a diagram of the Tellico Blockhouse excavations. The Tellico Blockhouse was constructed in 1794-95 adjacent to the earlier Fort Loudoun at the confluence of the Tellico and Little Tennessee Rivers in what is presently Monroe County as a federal outpost. In 1805 federal officials and Overhill Cherokees negotiated a treaty at the Tellico Blockhouse which moved the federal agency south to the mouth of the Hiawassee. By 1807 the federal government abandoned Tellico and moved the rest of its agency to the Hiawassee River post, the new center of the Overhill Cherokee settlement. Excavations of the Tellico Blockhouse were conducted by the University of Tennessee from 1972-1974 in anticipation of the flooding of the lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. Excavations of the Blockhouse were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal investigator, Alfred K. Guthe. Field Director, Richard R. Polhemus.