Biographical Album of Tennessee Governors [Neil Smith Brown--1847-1849] / J. S. Jones : a machine-readable transcription of an image
Jones, J. S.
This work is the property of the Special Collections Library, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN. It may be used freely by individuals for research, teaching, and personal use as long as this statement of availability is included in the text.
The Biographical Album of Tennessee Governors, dated 1904, contains 31 plates, each featuring a Tennessee Governor's photo on the front and biographical information on the back. This plate features Neil Smith Brown, Tennessee governor from 1847 to 1849.
Neil Smith Brown , Governor of Tennessee , 1847- 1849, was born in Giles County , Tenn. [Tennessee], April 18, 1810. He was well educated and began his career as a school teacher. 1833 he began to study law; was admitted to the bar 1834 and began his practice at Pulaski . 1836 he enlisted as a private in the Seminole war and was soon promoted to Sergeant-Major, First Tenn. [Tennessee] Regulars, Armstrong's brigade. 1836 he was district elector on the Hugh Lawson White ticket, and the next year was elected on the Whig ticket to the Legislature. He was on Harrison - Tyler ticket as elector 1840, and four years later on the ticket for Henry Clay . 1847 he defeated the democratic candidate, Aaron V. Brown, and was elected Governor by a vote of 61,372 to 60,004. During his administration, 1847, "the New Orleans and Ohio Telegraph Company" was incorporated, being the first in the State. 1848 Legislature passed an act requiring the Governor to endorse bonds of the East Tenn. [Tennessee] & Georgia Railroad. This was the first State aid to railroads in Tennessee. 1849 Neil S. Brown was defeated by William Trousdale , Democratic candidate for Governor. 1850 he was appointed Minister to the Court of Russia . Returned to America and was elected to State Legislature 1855 and was Speaker of the House. Retired to private life and practiced law. Died at Nashville January 20, 1886, and his buried in Mount Olivet Cemetery.