Tennessee Documentary History
  Multiple Collection Search     View bookbag 
your bookbag has 0 items 

Title:[Photograph of the central hearth of a Cherokee townhouse in mid-18th century Toqua, taken in 1977] / [by Robert D. Newman] : a machine-readable transcription
Author:Newman, Robert D.

This work is the property of the McClung Museum, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN. It may be used freely by individuals for research, teaching, and personal use as long as this statement of availability is included in the text.

Date: 1977
Extent: 1p
Summary :This is a photograph of the central hearth of a Cherokee townhouse at Toqua, a mid-18th century Overhill Cherokee Village on the Little Tennessee River (present day Monroe County, Tennessee). The village, whose name means place of a mythic great fish, is on the same site as a late Mississippian Dallas culture, 1200-1600 A.D. American Revolutionary War forces destroyed the town in 1776 and 1780. It was destroyed again in 1788 post-war hostilities. In the 1970's, extensive archaeological excavations were conducted prior to its inundation by the waters of the Tellico Dam Reservoir. These excavations uncovered Mississippian structures as well as those of 18th century Cherokee. Of the latter were recorded 2 townhouses, 10 dwellings, and a number of refuse pits and burials. Excavations of Overhill Cherokee Villages were conducted by the University of Tennessee between 1967 and 1983 as part of the Tellico Archaeological Project. Excavations continued until 1983, and laboratory studies and report preparation continued until 1987. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal Investigator, Jefferson Chapman. Field Director, Robert D. Newman.
Collection :Frank H. McClung Museum Photographic Collection
Document :mm005

Page [1]  view page image

[unclear] Cherokee Excavation [unclear] April 1977 Central hearth Cherokee townhouse at Toqua, mid-18th century, excavations by University of Tennessee, 1977. Photograph by Robert D. Newman. This information was provided by the Frank H. McClung Museum.
This document consists of one image only.

A product of DLPS
To comment or inquire about content, contact UTK Special Collections
To report errors, contact UTK Special Collections