This work is the property of the McClung Museum, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN. It may be used freely by individuals for research, teaching, and personal use as long as this statement of availability is included in the text.
|Summary :||This is a photograph of the central hearth of a Cherokee townhouse at Toqua, a mid-18th century Overhill Cherokee Village on the Little Tennessee River (present day Monroe County, Tennessee). The village, whose name means place of a mythic great fish, is on the same site as a late Mississippian Dallas culture, 1200-1600 A.D. American Revolutionary War forces destroyed the town in 1776 and 1780. It was destroyed again in 1788 post-war hostilities. In the 1970's, extensive archaeological excavations were conducted prior to its inundation by the waters of the Tellico Dam Reservoir. These excavations uncovered Mississippian structures as well as those of 18th century Cherokee. Of the latter were recorded 2 townhouses, 10 dwellings, and a number of refuse pits and burials. Excavations of Overhill Cherokee Villages were conducted by the University of Tennessee between 1967 and 1983 as part of the Tellico Archaeological Project. Excavations continued until 1983, and laboratory studies and report preparation continued until 1987. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Principal Investigator, Jefferson Chapman. Field Director, Robert D. Newman.|